Wednesday, May 7, 2014

To turn the truth into a story

Hello everyone,

I just listened to Elizabeth May on CBC, being interviewed by Carol Off about her longtime friend Farley Mowat, who passed away yesterday. 


Elizabeth spoke about Farley Mowat as an environmentalist, and environmentalists in general.  She said that it didn't matter how many data we put together, and how many studies we cite, we may not be able to change a person's mind or actions on a particular environmental need.  However - if we can turn the science, the facts, into a story that touches people then those people will participate and, perhaps, change for the good. 

Farley was that kind of a storyteller.  He experienced, he cared, he understood, he spoke.  I sure send kind thoughts to any and all of his family; and to Elizabeth and her family on the loss of this friend.

I appreciate Elizabeth pointing out the need for stories - something I know and forget - often - as I become caught into the need to document or follow links and "prove" what I'm trying to say.

I'll start rereading Farley Mowat's stories.  It'll be good for me.

Best regards,

Why's Woman

No comments: