Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Robin Williams and a Sky Full of Stars



Hello Everyone,

I hope this day finds you well.

I've been thinking a lot about Robin Williams, who died - by suicide - almost two weeks ago.  I've read articles in the papers, looked at old pictures, put some of his films on hold at the library.

One columnist (and I can't find the article just now) wrote about why it is that when someone well known dies we mourn as if the person is someone we know.  The reason is because that person is someone we know.  

I've seen at least a dozen of Williams' films - laughed and cried with his characters.  I've heard him on t.v. interviews.  He has been for most of my adult life.  His characters get a bit mixed up in my mind ... possibly because the film characters he played were all Individuals my mind creates a bit of Williams-the-person in all of them, puts them together, and ... well, there he is ... someone I know ... just like I know the characters in favorite books.

Stories are real.  Just ask a 4 year old.  My own four year old remains, manifest with all the versions of me there are ... and they all recognize the reality of the stories and characters I see or read.

As for the depression Robin Williams lived with and which must surely have made him the Individual he was ... I'm going to grieve some more, and think on a lot of things.

Two (of no doubt many) articles worth reading are noted below.  The Redhill piece about the commonalities of depression is close to the heart/mind.  He mentions the last line from Dante's Inferno, as an idea to hold on to because it reminds us that depression may chew you up but it may then spit you back into a reality you can appreciate:  Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars.

I hope Robin is somehow, somewhere rebeholding the most beautiful sky full of stars.

Sincerely and with all best wishes,

Why's Woman

  
Thoughts on depression from an artistic mind
MICHAEL REDHILL, Contributed to The Globe and Mail, Published Friday, Aug. 15 2014
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/thoughts-on-depression-from-an-artistic-mind/article20079978/


The mystery of creativity and madness
The Globe and Mail, Margaret Wente, Published Thursday, Aug. 14 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/the-mystery-of-creativity-and-madness/article20056505/



No comments: